Stock Plan Name
This Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made as of Date by and between Company Name, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), and Purchaser Name (“Purchaser”) pursuant to the Company’s Stock Plan Name (the “Plan”). To the extent any capitalized terms used in this Agreement are not defined, they shall have the meaning ascribed to them in the Plan.
- Sale of Stock. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, on the Purchase Date (as defined below) the Company will issue and sell to Purchaser, and Purchaser agrees to purchase from the Company, # of Shares shares of the Company’s Common Stock (the “Shares”) at a purchase price of $Purchase Price Per Share per Share for a total purchase price of $Total Purchase Price. The term “Shares” refers to the purchased Shares and all securities received in replacement of or in connection with the Shares pursuant to stock dividends or splits, all securities received in replacement of the Shares in a recapitalization, merger, reorganization, exchange or the like, and all new, substituted or additional securities or other properties to which Purchaser is entitled by reason of Purchaser’s ownership of the Shares.
- Purchase. The purchase and sale of the Shares under this Agreement shall occur at the principal office of the Company simultaneously with the execution and delivery of this Agreement by the parties, or on such other date as the Company and Purchaser shall agree (the “Purchase Date”). On the Purchase Date, the Company will deliver to Purchaser a certificate representing the Shares to be purchased by Purchaser (which shall be issued in Purchaser’s name) against payment of the purchase price therefor by Purchaser.
- Limitations on Transfer. In addition to any other limitation on transfer created by applicable securities laws, Purchaser shall not assign, encumber or dispose of any interest in the Shares while the Shares are subject to the Company’s Repurchase Option (as defined below). After any Shares have been released from such Repurchase Option, Purchaser shall not assign, encumber or dispose of any interest in such Shares except in compliance with the provisions below and applicable securities laws.
(a) Repurchase Option.
(i) In the event of the voluntary or involuntary termination of Purchaser’s Continuous Service Status for any reason (including death or Disability), with or without cause, the Company shall upon the date of such termination (the “Termination Date”) have an irrevocable, exclusive option (the “Repurchase Option”) for a period of 3 month(s) from such date to repurchase all or any portion of the Shares held by Purchaser as of the Termination Date which have not yet been released from the Company’s Repurchase Option at the original purchase price per Share specified in Section 1 (adjusted for any stock splits, stock dividends and the like).
(ii) The Repurchase Option shall be exercised by the Company by written notice at any time within 3 month(s) following the Termination Date to Purchaser or Purchaser’s executor and, at the Company’s option, (A) by delivery to Purchaser or Purchaser’s executor with such notice of a check in the amount of the purchase price for the Shares being purchased, or (B) by cancellation by the Company of indebtedness equal to the purchase price for the Shares being repurchased, or (C) by a combination of (A) and (B) so that the combined payment and cancellation of indebtedness equals such purchase price. Upon delivery of such notice and payment of the purchase price in any of the ways described above, the Company shall become the legal and beneficial owner of the Shares being repurchased and all rights and interest therein or related thereto, and the Company shall have the right to transfer to its own name the number of Shares being repurchased by the Company, without further action by Purchaser.
(iii) Vesting Shares% of the Shares shall initially be subject to the Repurchase Option (the “Vesting Shares”). Shares Released Cliff of the Vesting Shares shall be released from the Repurchase Option on Cliff Vesting Date, and an additional Earn Out Shares of the Vesting Shares shall be released from the Repurchase Option on the Monthly Earnout Vesting Day day of each month thereafter, until all Vesting Shares are released from the Repurchase Option; provided, however, that such scheduled releases from the Repurchase Option shall immediately cease as of the Termination Date. Fractional shares shall be rounded to the nearest whole share.
(b) Right of First Refusal. Before any Shares held by Purchaser or any transferee of Purchaser (either being sometimes referred to herein as the “Holder”) may be sold or otherwise transferred (including transfer by gift or operation of law), the Company or its assignee(s) shall have a right of first refusal to purchase the Shares on the terms and conditions set forth in this Section 3(b) (the “Right of First Refusal”).
(i) Notice of Proposed Transfer. The Holder of the Shares shall deliver to the Company a written notice (the “Notice”) stating: (A) the Holder’s bona fide intention to sell or otherwise transfer such Shares; (B) the name of each proposed purchaser or other transferee (“Proposed Transferee”); (C) the number of Shares to be transferred to each Proposed Transferee; and (D) the terms and conditions of each proposed sale or transfer. The Holder shall offer the Shares at the same price (the “Purchase Price”) and upon the same terms (or terms as similar as reasonably possible) to the Company or its assignee(s).
(ii) Exercise of Right of First Refusal. At any time within thirty (30) days after receipt of the Notice, the Company and/or its assignee(s) may, by giving written notice to the Holder, elect to purchase all, but not less than all, of the Shares proposed to be transferred to any one or more of the Proposed Transferees, at the Purchase Price. If the terms of the proposed transfer in the Notice include consideration other than cash, the cash equivalent value of the non-cash consideration shall be determined by the Board in good faith.
(iii) Payment. Payment of the Purchase Price shall be made, at the election of the Company or its assignee(s), in cash (by check), by cancellation of all or a portion of any outstanding indebtedness or by any combination thereof within sixty (60) days after receipt of the Notice or in the manner and at the times set forth in the Notice.
(iv) Holder’s Right to Transfer. If all of the Shares proposed in the Notice to be transferred to a given Proposed Transferee are not purchased by the Company and/or its assignee(s) as provided in this Section 3(b), then the Holder may sell or otherwise transfer such Shares to that Proposed Transferee at the Purchase Price or at a higher price, provided that such sale or other transfer is consummated within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date of the Notice and provided further that any such sale or other transfer is effected in accordance with any applicable securities laws and the Proposed Transferee agrees in writing that the provisions of this Section 3 shall continue to apply to the Shares in the hands of such Proposed Transferee. If the Shares described in the Notice are not transferred to the Proposed Transferee within such period, or if the Holder proposes to change the price or other terms to make them more favorable to the Proposed Transferee, a new Notice shall be given to the Company, and the Company and/or its assignees shall again be offered the Right of First Refusal before any Shares held by the Holder may be sold or otherwise transferred.
(v) Exception for Certain Family Transfers. Anything to the contrary contained in this Section 3(b) notwithstanding, the transfer of any or all of the Shares during Purchaser’s lifetime or on Purchaser’s death by will or intestacy to Purchaser’s Immediate Family or to a trust for the benefit of Purchaser’s Immediate Family shall be exempt from the provisions of this Section 3(b). “Immediate Family” as used herein shall mean spouse, lineal descendant or antecedent, father, mother, brother or sister. In such case, the transferee or other recipient shall receive and hold the Shares so transferred subject to the provisions of this Section 3, and there shall be no further transfer of such Shares except in accordance with the terms of this Section 3.
(c) Company’s Right to Purchase upon Involuntary Transfer. In the event of any transfer by operation of law or other involuntary transfer (including death or divorce, but excluding in the event of death a transfer to Immediate Family as set forth in Section 3(b)(v) above) of all or a portion of the Shares by the record holder thereof, the Company shall have an option to purchase all of the Shares transferred at the greater of the purchase price paid by Purchaser pursuant to this Agreement or the Fair Market Value of the Shares on the date of transfer (as determined by the Board). Upon such a transfer, the person acquiring the Shares shall promptly notify the Secretary of the Company of such transfer. The right to purchase such Shares shall be provided to the Company for a period of thirty (30) days following receipt by the Company of written notice by the person acquiring the Shares.
(d) Assignment. The right of the Company to purchase any part of the Shares may be assigned in whole or in part to any holder or holders of capital stock of the Company or other persons or organizations.
(e) Restrictions Binding on Transferees. All transferees of Shares or any interest therein will receive and hold such Shares or interest subject to the provisions of this Agreement, including, insofar as applicable, the Repurchase Option. In the event of any purchase by the Company hereunder where the Shares or interest are held by a transferee (including any deemed purchase pursuant to Section 3(a)(ii)), the transferee shall be obligated, if requested by the Company, to transfer the Shares or interest to the Purchaser for consideration equal to the amount to be paid by the Company hereunder. Payment of the purchase price by the Company to such transferee shall be deemed to satisfy Purchaser’s obligation to pay such transferee for such Shares or interest, and also to satisfy the Company’s obligation to pay Purchaser for such Shares or interest. Any sale or transfer of the Shares shall be void unless the provisions of this Agreement are satisfied.
(f) Termination of Rights. The right of first refusal granted the Company by Section 3(b) above and the option to repurchase the Shares in the event of an involuntary transfer granted the Company by Section 3(c) above shall terminate upon the first sale of Common Stock of the Company to the general public pursuant to a registration statement filed with and declared effective by the Securities and Exchange Commission under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “Securities Act”). Upon termination of such transfer restrictions, the Company will remove any stop-transfer notices referred to in Section 6(b) below and related to the restriction in Sections 3(b) and 3(c) and a new certificate or certificates representing the Shares not repurchased shall be issued, on request, without the legend referred to in Section 6(a)(ii) below.
- Escrow of Unvested Shares. For purposes of facilitating the enforcement of the provisions of Section 3 above, Purchaser agrees, immediately upon receipt of any certificate(s) for the Shares subject to the Repurchase Option, to deliver such certificate(s), together with an Assignment Separate from Certificate in the form attached to this Agreement as Exhibit A executed by Purchaser and by Purchaser’s spouse (if required for transfer), in blank, to the Secretary of the Company, or the Secretary’s designee, to hold such certificate(s) and Assignment Separate from Certificate in escrow and to take all such actions and to effectuate all such transfers and/or releases as are in accordance with the terms of this Agreement. Purchaser hereby acknowledges that the Secretary of the Company, or the Secretary’s designee, is so appointed as the escrow holder with the foregoing authorities as a material inducement to make this Agreement and that said appointment is coupled with an interest and is accordingly irrevocable. Purchaser agrees that said escrow holder shall not be liable to any party hereof (or to any other party). The escrow holder may rely upon any letter, notice or other document executed by any signature purported to be genuine and may resign at any time. Purchaser agrees that if the Secretary of the Company, or the Secretary’s designee, resigns as escrow holder for any or no reason, the Board shall have the power to appoint a successor to serve as escrow holder pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
- Investment and Taxation Representations. In connection with the purchase of the Shares, Purchaser represents to the Company the following:
(a) Purchaser is aware of the Company’s business affairs and financial condition and has acquired sufficient information about the Company to reach an informed and knowledgeable decision to acquire the Shares. Purchaser is purchasing the Shares for investment for Purchaser’s own account only and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any “distribution” thereof within the meaning of the Securities Act or under any applicable provision of state law. Purchaser does not have any present intention to transfer the Shares to any other person or entity.
(b) Purchaser understands that the Shares have not been registered under the Securities Act by reason of a specific exemption therefrom, which exemption depends upon, among other things, the bona fide nature of Purchaser’s investment intent as expressed herein.
(c) Purchaser further acknowledges and understands that the securities must be held indefinitely unless they are subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available. Purchaser further acknowledges and understands that the Company is under no obligation to register the securities.
(d) Purchaser is familiar with the provisions of Rules 144 and 701, each promulgated under the Securities Act, which, in substance, permit limited public resale of “restricted securities” acquired, directly or indirectly, from the issuer of the securities (or from an affiliate of such issuer), in a non-public offering subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions. Purchaser understands that the Company provides no assurances as to whether he or she will be able to resell any or all of the Shares pursuant to Rule 144 or Rule 701, which rules require, among other things, that resales of securities take place only after the holder of the Shares has held the Shares for certain specified time periods, and under certain circumstances, that certain information about the Company be current and publicly available, and that resales of securities be limited in volume and take place only pursuant to brokered transactions. Notwithstanding this Section 5(d), Purchaser acknowledges and agrees to the restrictions set forth in Section 5(e) below.
(e) Purchaser further understands that in the event all of the applicable requirements of Rule 144 or 701 are not satisfied, registration under the Securities Act, compliance with Regulation A, or some other registration exemption will be required; and that, notwithstanding the fact that Rules 144 and 701 are not exclusive, the Staff of the Securities and Exchange Commission has expressed its opinion that persons proposing to sell private placement securities other than in a registered offering and otherwise than pursuant to Rule 144 or 701 will have a substantial burden of proof in establishing that an exemption from registration is available for such offers or sales, and that such persons and their respective brokers who participate in such transactions do so at their own risk.
(f) Purchaser understands that Purchaser may suffer adverse tax consequences as a result of Purchaser’s purchase or disposition of the Shares. Purchaser represents that Purchaser has consulted any tax consultants Purchaser deems advisable in connection with the purchase or disposition of the Shares and that Purchaser is not relying on the Company for any tax advice.
- Restrictive Legends and Stop-Transfer Orders.
(a) Legends. The certificate or certificates representing the Shares shall bear the following legends (as well as any legends required by applicable state and federal corporate and securities laws):
(i) "The securities represented hereby have not been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, and have been acquired for investment and not with a view to, or in connection with, the sale or distribution thereof. No such sale or distribution may be effected without an effective registration statement related thereto or an opinion of counsel in a form satisfactory to the company that such registration is not required under the Securities Act of 1933."
(ii) "The shares represented by this certificate may be transferred only in accordance with the terms of an agreement between the company and the stockholder, a copy of which is on file and may be obtained from the secretary of the company."
(b) Stop-Transfer Notices. Purchaser agrees that, in order to ensure compliance with the restrictions referred to herein, the Company may issue appropriate “stop transfer” instructions to its transfer agent, if any, and that, if the Company transfers its own securities, it may make appropriate notations to the same effect in its own records.
(c) Refusal to Transfer. The Company shall not be required (i) to transfer on its books any Shares that have been sold or otherwise transferred in violation of any of the provisions of this Agreement or (ii) to treat as owner of such Shares or to accord the right to vote or pay dividends to any purchaser or other transferee to whom such Shares shall have been so transferred.
- No Employment Rights. Nothing in this Agreement shall affect in any manner whatsoever the right or power of the Company, or a Parent or Subsidiary of the Company, to terminate Purchaser’s employment or consulting relationship, for any reason, with or without cause.
- Section 83(b) Election. Purchaser understands that Section 83(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”), taxes as ordinary income the difference between the amount paid for the Shares and the Fair Market Value of the Shares as of the date any restrictions on the Shares lapse. In this context, “restriction” means the right of the Company to buy back the Shares pursuant to the Repurchase Option set forth in Section 3(a) above. Purchaser understands that Purchaser may elect to be taxed at the time the Shares are purchased, rather than when and as the Repurchase Option expires, by filing an election under Section 83(b) (an “83(b) Election”) of the Code with the Internal Revenue Service within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase. Even if the Fair Market Value of the Shares at the time of the execution of this Agreement equals the amount paid for the Shares, the election must be made to avoid income under Section 83(a) in the future. Purchaser understands that failure to file such an election in a timely manner may result in adverse tax consequences for Purchaser. Purchaser further understands that an additional copy of such election form should be filed with Purchaser’s federal income tax return for the calendar year in which the date of this Agreement falls. Purchaser acknowledges that the foregoing is only a summary of the effect of United States federal income taxation with respect to purchase of the Shares hereunder, does not purport to be complete, and is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of avoiding taxpayer penalties. Purchaser further acknowledges that the Company has directed Purchaser to seek independent advice regarding the applicable provisions of the Code, the income tax laws of any municipality, state or foreign country in which Purchaser may reside, and the tax consequences of Purchaser’s death.
Purchaser agrees that he will execute and deliver to the Company with this executed Agreement a copy of the Acknowledgment and Statement of Decision Regarding Section 83(b) Election (the “Acknowledgment”), attached hereto as Exhibit B and, if Purchaser decides to make an 83(b) Election, a copy of the 83(b) Election, attached hereto as Exhibit C.
- Lock-Up Agreement. In connection with the initial public offering of the Company’s securities and upon request of the Company or the underwriters managing such offering of the Company’s securities, Purchaser hereby agrees not to sell, make any short sale of, loan, grant any option for the purchase of, or otherwise dispose of any securities of the Company (other than those included in the registration) without the prior written consent of the Company or such underwriters, as the case may be, for such period of time (not to exceed 180 days) from the effective date of such registration as may be requested by the Company or such managing underwriters and to execute an agreement reflecting the foregoing as may be requested by the underwriters at the time of the Company’s initial public offering. [In addition, upon request of the Company or the underwriters managing a public offering of the Company’s securities (other than the initial public offering), Purchaser hereby agrees to be bound by similar restrictions, and to sign a similar agreement, in connection with no more than one additional registration statement filed within 12 months after the closing date of the initial public offering, provided that the duration of the lock-up period with respect to such additional registration shall not exceed 90 days from the effective date of such additional registration statement.] [Notwithstanding the foregoing, if during the last 17 days of the restricted period, the Company issues an earnings release or material news or a material event relating to the Company occurs, or prior to the expiration of the restricted period the Company announces that it will release earnings results during the 16-day period beginning on the last day of the restricted period, then, upon the request of the managing underwriter, to the extent required by any FINRA rules, the restrictions imposed by this subsection shall continue to apply until the end of the third trading day following the expiration of the 15-day period beginning on the issuance of the earnings release or the occurrence of the material news or material event. In no event will the restricted period extend beyond 216 days after the effective date of the registration statement.] [Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Company shall use its best efforts to cause any such agreement to contain a phased release from the lock-up period contained in the agreement based on the Company’s achievement of certain performance milestones.] [Any waiver or termination of the restrictions of any or all of such agreements by the Company or the underwriters shall apply to all securityholders subject to such agreements pro rata based on the number of shares subject to such agreements.]
- [Change of Control Acceleration. [Single Trigger Acceleration: Notwithstanding the foregoing, if a Corporate Transaction constitutes a Triggering Event, the vesting of the Shares shall accelerate such that the Repurchase Option in Section 3(a) above shall lapse as to Repurchase Option Shares Remaining% of the Shares then unvested, effective as of immediately prior to consummation of the Triggering Event.] or [Double Trigger Acceleration: Notwithstanding the foregoing, if Purchaser is Involuntarily Terminated by the Successor Corporation in connection with or within Months following Trigger month(s) following the consummation of a Corporate Transaction that constitutes a Triggering Event, then any Shares subject to the Repurchase Option that was assumed by the Successor Corporation shall accelerate such that the Repurchase Option in Section 3(a) above shall lapse as to the number of Shares as to which the Repurchase Option would otherwise have lapsed as of the date Months Since Termination month(s) from the Termination Date, assuming Purchaser remained in Continuous Service Status for such Months since Termination-month period. The lapse of repurchase rights provided for in the previous sentence shall occur immediately prior to the Termination Date. [For purposes of this Agreement, Purchaser shall be deemed to have been “Involuntarily Terminated” if (1) the Company (or a successor, if appropriate) terminates Purchaser’s service as an employee or a consultant without Cause other than for death or Disability, or (2) if Purchaser is not an employee or consultant of the Company (or a successor, if appropriate) at the time of consummation of the Triggering Event, Purchaser is removed from, or is not reelected to, the Board of Directors of the Company (or a successor, as appropriate) without Cause other than for death or Disability, or (3) Purchaser resigns within sixty (60) days of any of the following events: (A) a material reduction in Purchaser’s job position (which shall include a material reduction, without Purchaser’s consent, in the title and position of the person to whom Purchaser reports), responsibilities or duties, provided that neither a mere change in title alone nor reassignment following a Triggering Event to a position that is substantially similar to the position held prior to the transaction shall constitute a material reduction in job responsibilities; (B) without Purchaser’s prior written consent, the Company (or a successor, if appropriate) requires him to relocate to a facility or location more than fifty (50) miles away from the location at which he was working immediately prior to the required relocation; or (C) a reduction of more than ten percent (10%) in his then-current base salary (other than as part of an across-the-board, proportional salary reduction applicable to all executive officers).]]
(a) Governing Law. This Agreement and all acts and transactions pursuant hereto and the rights and obligations of the parties hereto shall be governed, construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of [California], without giving effect to principles of conflicts of law.
(b) Entire Agreement; Enforcement of Rights. This Agreement sets forth the entire agreement and understanding of the parties relating to the subject matter herein and merges all prior discussions between them. No modification of or amendment to this Agreement, nor any waiver of any rights under this Agreement, shall be effective unless in writing signed by the parties to this Agreement. The failure by either party to enforce any rights under this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of any rights of such party.
(c) Severability. If one or more provisions of this Agreement are held to be unenforceable under applicable law, the parties agree to renegotiate such provision in good faith. In the event that the parties cannot reach a mutually agreeable and enforceable replacement for such provision, then (i) such provision shall be excluded from this Agreement, (ii) the balance of the Agreement shall be interpreted as if such provision were so excluded and (iii) the balance of the Agreement shall be enforceable in accordance with its terms.
(d) Notices. Any notice required or permitted by this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed sufficient upon delivery, when delivered personally or by overnight courier or sent by email or fax (upon customary confirmation of receipt), or forty-eight (48) hours after being deposited in the U.S. mail as certified or registered mail with postage prepaid, addressed to the party to be notified at such party’s address or fax number as set forth on the signature page or as subsequently modified by written notice.
(e) Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which together shall constitute one instrument.
(f) Successors and Assigns. The rights and benefits of this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of, and be enforceable by the Company’s successors and assigns. The rights and obligations of Purchaser under this Agreement may only be assigned with the prior written consent of the Company.
(g) [California Corporate Securities Law. The sale of the securities which are the subject of this agreement has not been qualified with the Commissioner of Corporations of the State of California and the issuance of the securities or the payment or receipt of any part of the consideration therefor prior to the qualification is unlawful, unless the sale of securities is exempt from qualification by Section 25100, 25102 or 25105 of the California Corporations Code. The rights of all parties to this agreement are expressly conditioned upon the qualification being obtained, unless the sale is so exempt.]
The parties have executed this Agreement as of the date first set forth above.
Name: Company Agent Name
Title: Company Agent Title
Attn: Chief Executive Officer
Fax: CEO Fax
email: CEO email
Address: Purchaser Address
Fax: Purchaser Fax
email: Purchaser email
I, Spouse Name, spouse of Purchaser Name (“Purchaser”), have read and hereby approve the foregoing Agreement. In consideration of the Company’s granting my spouse the right to purchase the Shares as set forth in the Agreement, I hereby agree to be irrevocably bound by the Agreement and further agree that any community property or similar interest that I may have in the Shares shall be similarly bound by the Agreement. I hereby appoint my spouse as my attorney-in-fact with respect to any amendment or exercise of any rights under the Agreement.
Spouse of Purchaser (if applicable)
Assignment Separate From Certificate
[See and Attach: https://www.docracy.com/5373/assignment-separate-from-certificate ]
Acknowledgment And Statement Of Decision
Regarding Section 83(b) Election
[See and Attach: https://www.docracy.com/5374/acknowledgement-and-statement-of-decision-regarding-section-83-b-election ]
Election Under Section 83(b)
Of The Internal Revenue Code Of 1986
[See and Attach: https://www.docracy.com/5375/83-b-election-form ]