Effective Date: August 30, 2012
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you become a member; create an online account or profile; use the interactive areas and features of our Services; make a purchase or rental; sign up for contests, promotions, mailing lists, classes, events or recreational activities; and when you email, call, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include:
- Membership and Online Account Information, such as your name, address, phone number, fax number, email address, photos, social media usernames, demographic information, and information about your interests and preferences.
- Transaction Information, such as your name, billing address, shipping address, phone number, email address, credit card information, and transaction history.
- REI Adventures and Outdoor School Information, such as medical/health information, fitness conditions, physical characteristics, passport information, dietary requirements, and emergency contact information.
Information We Collect When You Use Our Services. We may also automatically collect information about you when you access or use the Services, including:
- Log Information: We obtain information about your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. In addition, if you connect to REI's wifi network while in our stores, we collect information about your browsing activity, such as the URLs of the pages you visit.
- Location Information: We may collect information about your location when you access or use one of our mobile applications or otherwise consent to the collection of this information. For more details, please see "Your Choices" below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive personal information about you from other sources and combine or link that with information we have about you.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect about you for a variety of purposes, for example, to:
- administer your membership and communicate with you about member benefits (such as your dividend balance and special offers only available to members);
- provide and deliver products and services, process and complete transactions and send you related information, including purchase confirmations, invoices, updates, security alerts, recall notices and support and administrative messages;
- provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- communicate with you about REI and partner products, services, offers, promotions, news, upcoming events, and other information we think will be of interest to you;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- personalize the Services and provide advertisements, content, or features that are targeted toward your interests; and
- process and deliver contest or sweepstakes entries and prizes.
We may store and process information in the United States and other countries.
Sharing of Information
We may share personal information about you outside of REI and its affiliates, including as follows:
- with third parties who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf;
- we may make our postal mailing list and general shopping information available to selected companies we believe may offer products or services of interest to you;
- when you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services, certain information about you may be displayed publicly on our Services and on third party sites, such as your photos, stories, posts, and other information you choose to provide in your profile;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, a corporate business transaction, such as a merger or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company, joint venture, corporate reorganization, insolvency or bankruptcy, financing or sale of company assets;
- with your consent.
We may also share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on the Services with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these features.
REI takes reasonable measures, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Your Information. You may update or correct information about you by logging into your online account or calling Customer Service. You may also email us if you wish to deactivate your account, but note that we may retain information about you for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails and text messages from REI by following the instructions in those communications or changing your preferences via http://www.rei.com/help/mailing.html. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your purchases, account, membership or our ongoing business relations.
Location Information. You also have the ability to turn location-based services on and off by adjusting the settings of your Internet browser or mobile device, or by following the standard uninstall process and removing all REI applications from your mobile device.
Third Party Advertising, Analytics and Services
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. However, under the law, a business is not required to provide this information if it permits California residents to opt in to, or opt out of, this type of sharing. REI qualifies for this alternative option. To opt out of having your information shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes, please call Customer Service.
Changes to this Policy
REI may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above and, in some cases we may provide you with more prominent notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you an email notification). We encourage you to review the Policy to stay informed about our information practices and the ways you can help protect your privacy.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Policy or about our privacy practices, please call our customer service representatives at 1-800-426-4840 (US and Canada) or 1-253-891-2500 (outside the US and Canada) or send an email message to [email protected]. You may also direct your privacy-related comments or questions to the following address:
Recreational Equipment, Inc.
Attention: Privacy Officer
6750 S. 228th Street
Kent, Washington 98032