This is a personalized, NYC roommate agreement based on several similar generic documents found online.
Roommate Agreement between lease holder and roommate
Lease Holder: lease holder Roommate: roommate Landlord: landlord
Space to be Occupied by Roommate: Space to be Occupied by Roommate
Date/Term of Occupancy by Roommate: month/day/year through month/day/year
Roommate Rent: $dollar amount per/month, includes heat, hot/cold water, electricity, high-speed
wireless Internet service, Dish Network TV, access to/use of all common living areas (bathroom, kitchen, living room and laundry room), appliances (both kitchen and laundry) and shared kitchen items.
Payment Due at Start of Occupancy: 1 Month Rent and One-half Month Deposit ($dollar amount, Total).
Deposit will be applied if any damage or defaced property is incurred by Roommate and may not be applied to last month’s rent. Roommate rent to be paid by check or cash by the 1st of each month with any check to be written as payable to the Landlord c/o the Lease Holder.
Roommate and Lease Holder will keep the apartment reasonably clean. Dishes, flatware,
pots and pans, etc. will not be left in the sink or elsewhere uncleaned after meals. Belongings/
clothing will not be left on furniture or on the floor. The walls, furniture, rugs, etc. will be
maintained in the approximate condition that they are found in upon the commencement of
this agreement. Indoor cleaning and any necessary outdoor work (e.g. snow and ice removal) will be shared by the Tenants and the Lease Holder.
The Roommate agrees to the following limitations on their use of the Premises:
1) There is to be no smoking (of any substance), illegal drug use or alcohol use within the interior of the premises and shared indoor spaces;
2) The Roommate and Lease Holder agree to maintain quiet hours at the premises between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM;
3) The Roommate may not have pets of any kind without the express written permission of the Lease Holder;
4) The Roommate agrees that use of the Premises is restricted to the Roommate, and that the room may not be used by any additional person(s) without the express written permission of the Lease Holder;
5) The Roommate agrees to inform the Lease Holder of any expected guests and that use of the Premises by any overnight guest shall require the express written permission of the Lease Holder.
Lease Holder and Roommate agree that either one may elect to end the Roommate’s
occupancy of the premises at any time but will require at least 1 month’s notice to the other
party in order to do so. Such a decision to end the occupancy will not require justification or be
open to challenge by either party and will relinquish either party’s commitment to this agreement
following the Roommate’s evacuation of the premises.
Agreed to by
Lease Holder signature Date month/day/year
Roommate signature Date month/day/year