At alot.com, we work hard to deliver valuable web tools at no cost to you while driving revenue for creating and improving alot.com products in the future. Your happiness and satisfaction are very important to us and we hope to include you as one of our millions of satisfied users.
We want you to feel comfortable downloading and using our products. We understand that your trust depends on us respecting your privacy and safeguarding any information we may be able to access.
alot.com's principle revenue is earned through the ALOT Toolbar's advertising functions. Generally, sites pay to get certain placement within keyword search results. If a user clicks an ad, the advertiser pays our search partner for the click and we share in that revenue.
alot.com's web and toolbar web search are powered by our search partner. Your search queries are passed to our search partner's servers to produce the results that are returned. Also, our toolbars may provide the ability to perform quick access searches of a variety of sites related to the themes of the respective toolbars. Your search queries are passed along to these sites to generate the results that are returned to you. Note that these sites will generally have their own privacy policies that are not under the control of alot.com.
- Our software is installed only with your permission
- We do not collect or track personal information other than (i) in those cases where you submit such to participate in a promotion, sweepstakes, or other contest sponsored by alot.com or an affiliate of alot.com, and (ii) in the event that you opt-in to use the Discover (formerly Site Metrics) feature of our ALOT Toolbar, where personal information is contained in the unsecured http requests of websites that you visit (for example, personal information in data submitted by you in a search query or in data included in a URL by the operator of a website, such as a username or other information relating to website registration).
- We allow you to disable certain search features if you feel they are not valuable to you. We allow you to disable the Discover feature of the ALOT Toolbar.
- We make it easy for you to uninstall our software through the standard Add/Remove interface. If you no longer wish to use our software, simply uninstall it.
- We brand each of our products and provide you with links to our customer service department.
- We are proud of our software and our business and are happy to be up front with our users as to what we do.
We do not collect personal information other than personal information that is submitted by a user to enter into a promotion, sweepstakes, or other contest sponsored by alot.com or an affiliate of alot.com. In addition, we need to collect some non-personal data to power our products and monitor our performance. Here is exactly what we do:
- We may use personal information that you submit to enter into a promotion, sweepstakes, or other contest sponsored by alot.com or an alot.com affiliate to administer the promotion, sweepstakes, or contest. In addition, we may use a third party service provider to administer promotions, sweepstakes, or contests, and we may share your personal information with such third party service provider.
- We collect information that is already available to every website you visit. Examples include Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser version, language and other browser and connection information.
- We use a unique ID in order to know how many people use our products and to allow us and third parties to better target advertisements. This ID is not personally identifying; it is a completely random number. We may use and/or share our unique non-personally identifying ID with third parties.
- We track clicks on our toolbars and on our sites in order to optimize the toolbar and our offerings.
- We collect search data that is not correlated to particular users at our search site and via the ALOT Toolbar which is used to monitor and optimize our business performance. We may also share aggregated information with others.
- If you opt-in to use the Discover feature of the ALOT Toolbar, we may use and/or share data collected by the Discover feature with third parties. You consent to the use, processing, and/or sharing of this data by us and by such third parties. If you opt-in to the Discover feature, you may thereafter opt-out of such feature at any time by navigating to the ALOT Toolbar preferences dialogue and deselecting the Discover option. We use reasonable measures to scrub and filter out any personal information collected via the Discover feature. Personal information submitted for promotions, sweepstakes, or other contests is never linked to anonymous data collected via the Discover feature.
- We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data.
Note that you may choose to provide your zip code or other location information to enable us to present the local weather forecast for your area when using our weather products. You may be required to provide your name and email address when submitting comments or support issues via the support pages of the alot.com site.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") protects the online privacy of children under 13 years of age. ALOT does not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from anyone under the age of 13, unless or except as permitted by law. Any person who provides personal information through registration or any other means to ALOT represents to us that he or she is 13 years of age or older. If ALOT learns that Personal Information has been collected from a user under 13 years of age on or through ALOT products, then ALOT will take the appropriate steps to cause this information to be deleted.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under 13 who has become an ALOT member, please contact ALOT at [email protected] to have that child's account terminated and information deleted.
You download our cookies when you visit our sites and download our software. Our cookies are stored on your hard drive and communicate with our servers only when you are visiting our websites/search sites or are using the ALOT Toolbar, including any of its search features or tools.
Your web browser is likely already set to accept cookies, yet you may choose to block cookies in your web browser's settings. Note that blocking cookies may result in some features not being able to function properly.
We allow third parties that display advertisements, search listings, and other content on portions of our Site to set and access their cookies on your computer and any cookies are subject to the third parties privacy policies and not ours.
How to Contact Us
Attention: Privacy Issues
143 Varick Street
New York, NY 10013
Last Updated: May 20th, 2011