We know that for all those who wish to pursue an education abroad or even appear for entrances it is important that you fare well in the verbal ability section of the test, it can seem like a never-ending task- learning new words and their meanings.
50 Difficult Words with Meanings. Really? Is it something that matters in the preparation of competitive exam? Or is it even something you should bother going through?
The simple answer is YES. Good vocabulary can take you to places in the competitive exams as well as in life. Well, this list of 50 Difficult Words with Meanings is carefully curated and includes some words that you would surely like to flaunt in your first introductions and also in your Instagram captions.
Why Bother about 50 Difficult Words with Meanings in the First Place?
We know that for all those who wish to pursue an education abroad or even appear for entrances it is important that you fare well in the verbal ability section of the test, it can seem like a never-ending task- learning new words and their meanings, so we have curated a list of few words that can give you an edge over others while you prepare for your SAT’s or GMAT/GRE as well as IELTS/TOEFL. Even those who enjoy the English language or wish to improve their vocabulary can go through our list and learn 50 Difficult Words with Meanings.
Complete List of 50 Difficult Words with Meanings
- Abnegation- Renouncing a belief or doctrine
- Aggrandize- enhance power, wealth or status
- Alacrity- eagerness
- Anachronistic- misplaced chronologically
- Archetypal- quintessential of a certain kind
- Ascetic- one who practices self-denial as part of spiritual discipline
- Beguile- influence someone in a deceptive way
- Blandishment- Intentional flattery for persuasion
- Cajole- persuade by flattery or coaxing
- Callous- disregard for others
- Camaraderie- a sense of solidarity arising out of familiarity and sociability
- Circumlocution- expressing someone in an indirect way
- Clamor- proclaim something noisily
- Cognizant- awareness or realization
- Construe- interpret or assign meaning
- Convivial- enjoyable atmosphere or jovial company
- Demagogue- political leader who uses rhetoric to appeal to prejudices and desires of ordinary citizens
- Denigrate- belittle someone
- Didactic- instructive with a moral intent
- Disparate- of a distinct kind
- Eclectic- deriving the best ideas and styles from a diverse range of sources
- Egregious- reprehensible or outrageously bad
- Embezzlement- misappropriation of funds
- Enervate- lacking in vitality or mentally/ morally drained
- Ephemeral- lasting for a short duration
You are mid-way the golden list of 50 Difficult Words with Meanings. Even if you feel you haven’t grasped everything, hang on and continue reading the words and meanings and we will tell how you can remember these 50 Difficult Words with Meanings at the end of it.
- Equanimity- maintaining composure in stressful situations
- Fatuous- devoid of intelligence
- Gratuitous- uncalled for or unwarranted
- Iconoclast- someone who criticizes or attacks cherished ideas and beliefs
- Idiosyncratic- something peculiar to an individual
- Incumbent- something that is morally binding
- Inveterate- habitual
- Libertarian- someone who cherishes ideas of free will
- Licentious- someone who is promiscuous
- Mendacious- deceitful
- Multifarious- multifaceted or diverse
- Obdurate- being stubborn and refusing to change one’s opinion
- Ostracism- excluding a person or certain section from society by majority consent ....for more you should visit the source