Information We Collect
We recognize your right to confidentiality and are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the information that we collect on our websites to provide you with a superior shopping experience and to communicate with you about products, services, and promotions.
When you place an order, we will ask you to set up "your account," which includes your name, e-mail address, mailing address, credit card number, and expiration date. Using your account information, we will send you communications that we believe are relevant to you, including eMedalert™ recall notices, newsletters, and e-mails. If you prefer not to receive optional e-mails or other communications from us, you may adjust your account to prevent such communications by clicking on "subscriptions" within "your account," by contacting us at [email protected], or by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link included in any of our e-mail messages.
If you would like to review or revise the information we have in your account, you may access such information by clicking on the "your account" link below or on any screen of our site.http://www.drugstore.com/user/modify_account.asp
If you wish to send a gift certificate to a friend, we will ask for your friend’s name and e-mail address. We will use this information to send your friend a one-time e-mail with the gift certificate attached. We store this information for the sole purpose of sending this e-mail and to track the success of our gift certificate exchange. Gift certificate recipients who wish to have their information removed from our database may contact us at [email protected].
We are pleased to hear from our customers and welcome your comments regarding our products. We include customer reviews on our website to allow other customers to see what you think about a product. These reviews may contain personally identifiable information, such as your name, should you choose to use your first and/or last name. We also allow you the option of sharing your review anonymously by entering a “nickname” when submitting your review. To request removal of your personal information from these reviews, contact us at [email protected]. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
In connection with the sale of certain regulated products, such as products containing pseudoephedrine, we may ask for additional information including a driver’s license or other government-issued identification and we will use this information solely for purposes of complying with mandatory recordkeeping and other legal requirements.
Information Automatically Collected
We automatically receive and collect certain types of information whenever you visit our websites. For example, like many other websites, we use "cookies" and web beacons (described below) and obtain certain types of information when your browser accesses our websites. This information includes the Internet protocol (IP) address of your computer, your geographic location as determined by your IP address, your browser software and operating system, your web server, the date and time you access our site, session information (such as download errors and page response times), information about your viewing, search and purchase history, and information about the referring URL and the URL clickstream to, through, and from our websites. We use this information to monitor the usage and performance of our site, to enhance our customers' search and shopping experiences and to determine aggregate information about our user base and usage patterns.
If you would like more information about these practices or to learn about your options for not having this information used, please visit http://www.aboutads.info.
Information From Third Parties
If we receive updated account information from third parties, we may revise your account for you so that we can efficiently process your orders, deliver your packages, or otherwise communicate with you. For example, we may receive customer information from our shippers or from third parties with which we operate co-branded businesses. In addition, we may acquire customer names, e-mail addresses, and mailing addresses for select mailings from third parties.
Other Information You Provide
We collect additional information that you choose to give us. For example, you provide information to us when you complete surveys or sweepstakes/contest entry forms, add items to Your List™, sign up for special discounts or coupons, communicate with us by e-mail, phone or otherwise, provide product reviews, or provide alternative delivery addresses.
Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
We protect all of your information against unauthorized access or release. We share your personal and prescription information with third parties as follows:
- GNC - Because we sell and accept GNC Gold Cards on behalf of GNC, when you purchase a GNC Gold Card from the drugstore.com™ website, we share your name, address, phone number, gender, and birth month and year with GNC. At your direction, we also share your e-mail address. When you use your GNC Gold Card to purchase GNC products at the drugstore.com™ website, we share with GNC a list of the products you purchased in the GNC Live Well store. We do not share with GNC information about products that you purchase outside of the GNC Live Well store.
- Pharmacy service provided through the drugstore.com website is provided by Walgreen Co. Information you provide to Walgreens is governed by Walgreens privacy policies and practices.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Purchases – When you make a purchase from the drugstore.com™ website of FSA-reimbursable items that will be automatically deducted from your FSA account (i.e., if you use your FSA-approved credit or debit card to make the purchase or if we have an arrangement with your FSA administrator to provide electronic substantiation on your behalf), we share with your FSA administrator a list of the FSA-eligible products you purchased, together with such account, transaction, and payment information as may be requested by your FSA administrator for the purpose of substantiating and tracking your purchase. We do not share with your FSA administrator information about non-FSA items you purchase.
- Brand Manufacturers - We may develop programs with some of our brand manufacturers through which you may be offered special discounts or coupons on products in exchange for providing your e-mail address or completing a survey about the manufacturer's products. When you are offered such discounts or coupons in exchange for providing information (for example, giving your e-mail address or completing a survey), you will be notified that if you choose to participate, your name, e-mail address and responses will be shared with the brand manufacturer. We will share no other information.
- Brand Partnerships - We may partner with outside brands or vendors to fulfill orders placed through their websites. We may share your name and e-mail address with these outside vendors or brands that refer you to drugstore.com to complete your order.
- Business Transfers - We may buy or sell stores or assets. In such transactions, customer information is usually treated as one of the transferred business assets. Should drugstore.com, inc., or substantially all of its assets be sold, customer information will be one of the transferred business assets. In that event, we will post a notification on this page or send you an e-mail so that you are always aware of how we are using your information.
- As You Direct - If you direct us to, we will release other personally identifiable information to your authorized representative, specified marketing partners, or such other person as you may direct. At the direction of the customer and to the extent specifically authorized by law, we will release such information to other persons, including specified marketing partners.
- From time to time, we may partner with certain companies who, in conjunction with membership programs, subscription services, or rewards programs, require that we disclose purchase or other personal information about their members who visit our website (for example, to earn points for purchases made on our site through links from the partner site). We will disclose only the information required to make these programs work for you and support your membership in them. In addition, we disclose this information to such companies only if you have consented first, including consent implied by your agreement to the membership or participation rules. If you do not want us to disclose that information to the strategic partner, then you must contact the partner directly.
Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Third Party Partners
When you place an order online, your personal information and credit card or debit card information are encrypted using SSL encryption technology before being sent over the Internet. We use SSL technology to prevent your information from being stolen or intercepted while being transferred to us and once we have received it. Your credit card information is always stored in encrypted form in a restricted-access database that is away from our website database so it is not connected to the Internet, to keep it safe from hackers. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. Questions about the security of our website should be directed to [email protected].
To personalize and enhance your browsing and shopping experience, we use a feature of your Internet browser called a cookie. Cookies are small files that your browser places on your computer's hard drive. Although we do not store personal information in cookies, we do tie cookies to a customer member ID which is then used to pull personal information out of the database for identification purposes. Cookies also let us know how you found us (e.g., through a particular website or advertisement). Cookies are not used to access information entered on the secure server. This information can be accessed only when you enter your name and password. If you choose to configure your browser to remove or reject our cookies, you will not be able to make purchases from our websites or take advantage of many of our features, such as Your List™.
Unsolicited E-mail (SPAM)
Please note that all e-mail that originates from us will either display the drugstore.com™ or Beauty.com™ logo (HTML e-mails) or contain our copyright notice (text e-mails). In addition, our e-mails will contain our corporate address in Bellevue, Washington. If you receive an unsolicited e-mail that you believe is connected with us in any way, please forward the e-mail (as an enclosure) to [email protected] and we will investigate.
We do not sell products for purchase by children. We sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may use our website only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Linked Web Sites
Our websites may contain links to and from other sites operated and maintained by separate companies. We have no responsibility for linked websites (including the websites of participants in our associate program) and provide these links solely for the convenience of and to provide information to our visitors. The privacy policies of these sites may differ from our policy, so you should always review the privacy statement of each linked website you visit.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend’s name and e-mail address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time e-mail inviting him or her to visit the site. We do not store this information.
Social Media (Features) and Widgets
Access to Personally Identifiable Information
If your personally identifiable information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, request deletion, or deactivate it by making the change on the “your account” page or by e-mailing us at [email protected]. We will respond to your access request within 30 days. As long as your account is active, we will retain your information for the purpose of providing you with our services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us at [email protected]. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We welcome your feedback. If you have questions or comments about our privacy policies, feel free to drop us an e-mail at [email protected] or write us:
411 108th Ave NE, Suite 1600
Bellevue, WA 98004
Last updated: April 11, 2013
Copyright © 2013 drugstore.com, inc. All rights reserved.