Standard agreement for fixed price web design work. This is intended for people operating as freelancers.
Agreement for Web Design
Between Sender Name at Sender Company (presented as "I" or "me") and Company Name as represented by Client Name (presented as "you" or "client").
I will always do my best to fulfil your needs and meet our goals, but it’s best to have a few simple things written down so that we both know what is what, who should do what and what happens if things go awry. In this contract you won't find complicated legal terms or large passages of unreadable text. I have no desire to trick you into signing something that you might later regret. I do want what's best for the safety of both parties, now and for future projects.
You, Client Name representing Company Name, are hiring Sender Company to perform web development work for the estimated total price of Project Value up to a maximum of Maximum Project Duration as outlined in my previous correspondence. The agreed payment plan is at the end of this document and more detail on the services to be provided is below.
What do both parties agree to do?
- have the power and ability to enter into this contract on behalf of your company or organisation;
- agree to provide me with everything that I need to complete the project including text, images and other information as and when I need it and in the format that I ask for;
- agree to review my work, provide feedback and sign-off approval in a timely manner too. Deadlines work two ways and you will also be bound by any dates that we set together;
- agree to avoid work-requests and meetings over weekends and public holidays;
- also agree to stick to the payment schedule set out at the end of this contract.
- have the experience and ability to perform the services you need from me and I will carry them out in a professional and timely manner;
- will endeavour to meet all the deadlines set but I can't be responsible for a missed launch date or a deadline if you have been late in supplying materials or have not approved or signed off my work on-time at any stage;
- will also maintain the confidentiality of any information that you give me.
Details of the Works
I will Detailed Service Overview. This contract includes one main design cycle plus the opportunity for you to make up to two rounds of 5 revision points. If you're not happy with the website at this stage, you agree to pay me in full for all of the work that I have produced until that point, and you may cancel this contract.
I'll study the needs of the project through discussions with your team and documents provided by you. Based on the study I'll be creating information architecture (IA) and user flows which can be shared as wireframes or mockups. From the mutually agreed IA and user flows, I continue to create look-and-feel designs which will be delivered as Photoshop comps (PSD).
Text content and photography
I am not responsible for writing or inputting any text copy unless I specified it in the original estimate. I'll be happy to help though where I can.
If needed, you will supply me imagery in the appropriate digital format for use on the website. If you choose to buy stock photographs I can suggest vendors of stock photography.
I can't guarantee that the functions contained in any webpage templates or in a completed website will always be error-free and so I can't be liable to you or any third party for damages, including lost profits, lost savings or other incidental, consequential or special damages arising out of the operation of or inability to operate this website and any other webpages, even if you have advised us of the possibilities of such damages.
If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
Cancelling this contract
If you choose to cancel this contract, I will retail the initial payment and may require an additional payment to be made to cover the work I have done up until the cancellation date. I will own the copyright to all materials produced up until that date and these can be transferred to you for an agreed set fee.
All other clauses in this contract will remain in place.
You guarantee to us that any elements of text, graphics, photos, designs, trademarks, or other artwork that you provide us for inclusion in the website are either owned by your good selfs, or that you have permission to use them.
When I receive my final payment, copyright is automatically assigned as follows:
- You own the graphics and other visual elements that I create for you for this project.
- I will give you a copy of all files at your request and you should store them safely as I am only required to keep them or provide any native source files that I used in making them for a period of one calendar month (up to 31 days) from the delivery of the final designs.
- You own text content, photographs and other data you provided, unless someone else owns them.
- I own any customised HTML markup, CSS, JS, PHP and other code and I license it to you for use on only this project. Should you need to re-use it in the future, we can discuss this.
- It is possible that I will use plugins and code from external sources (jQuery for example). In this case, the ownership of that code will be based on the license it is provided with.
I love to show off my work and share what I have learned with other people, so I would like the opportunity to display and link to your completed project as part of my portfolio and to write about the project on websites, in magazine articles and in books.
I also reserve the right to share on-going snippets of the work on Dribbble. I promise that these snippets will not give away any commercially sensitive or confidential details about the project. If you would prefer I did not share these ongoing snippets, that perfectly ok, but you will need to advise me of this in writing prior to work commencing.
I am sure you understand how important it is as a small business that you pay the invoices that I send you promptly. As I'm also sure you'll want to stay friends, you agree to stick to the following payment schedule, which will be as follows, but may be revised based on further conversations between us.
Initial Percentage% of total estimated fee payable prior to work commencing: Initial Payment Due
Remainder of fee payable prior to handover of the completed files: Remaining Payment Due
- Any additional work required for this project will be based on a new estimate and charged either at the time or as part of the final invoice, whichever I deem more appropriate
I do not place any interest on late payments because that’s no fun for anyone, but reserve the right to stop work on the project and withdraw any staging site or otherwise up until the time any outstanding amount is settled. Hopefully this will not be the case.
But where is all the horrible small print?
Just like a parking ticket, you cannot transfer this contract to anyone else without my permission.
This contract stays in place and need not be renewed. If for some reason one part of this contract becomes invalid or unenforceable, the remaining parts of it remain in place.
Although the language is simple, the intentions are serious and this contract is a legal document.
Please keep a copy once signed for your records and let's get this website going.