Stock Purchase Agreement - Equity Incentive Plan. In favor of Start Up.
Early Exercise Stock Purchase Agreement
under the [______] Equity Incentive Plan
This Agreement is made by and between [_____], Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), and _______________ (“Purchaser”).
Whereas, Purchaser holds a stock option dated _______________ to purchase shares of common stock (“Common Stock”) of the Company (the “Option”) pursuant to the Company’s [____]Equity Incentive Plan (the “Plan”); and
Whereas, the Option consists of a Stock Option Grant Notice and a Stock Option Agreement; and
Whereas, Purchaser desires to exercise the Option on the terms and conditions contained herein; and
Whereas, Purchaser wishes to take advantage of the early exercise provision of Purchaser’s Option and therefore to enter into this Agreement;
Now, therefore, it is agreed between the parties as follows:
1. Incorporation of Plan and Option by Reference. This Agreement is subject to all of the terms and conditions as set forth in the Plan and the Option. If there is a conflict between the terms of this Agreement and/or the Option and the terms of the Plan, the terms of the Plan shall control. If there is a conflict between the terms of this Agreement and the terms of the Option, the terms of the Option shall control. Defined terms not explicitly defined in this Agreement but defined in the Plan shall have the same definitions as in the Plan. Defined terms not explicitly defined in this Agreement or the Plan but defined in the Option shall have the same definitions as in the Option.
2. Purchase and Sale of Common Stock.
(a) Agreement to purchase and sell Common Stock. Purchaser hereby agrees to purchase from the Company, and the Company hereby agrees to sell to Purchaser, shares of the Common Stock of the Company in accordance with the Notice of Exercise duly executed by Purchaser and attached hereto as Exhibit A.
(b) Closing. The closing hereunder, including payment for and delivery of the Common Stock, shall occur at the offices of the Company immediately following the execution of this Agreement, or at such other time and place as the parties may mutually agree; provided, however, that if stockholder approval of the Plan is required before the Option may be exercised, then the Option may not be exercised, and the closing shall be delayed, until such stockholder approval is obtained. If such stockholder approval is not obtained within the time limit specified in the Plan, then this Agreement shall be null and void.
3. Unvested Share Repurchase Option.
(a) Repurchase Option. In the event Purchaser’s Continuous Service terminates, then the Company shall have an irrevocable option (the “Repurchase Option”) for a period of six (6) months after said termination (or in the case of shares issued upon exercise of the Option after such date of termination, within six (6) months after the date of the exercise), or such longer period as may be agreed to by the Company and Purchaser, to repurchase from Purchaser or Purchaser’s personal representative, as the case may be, those shares that Purchaser received pursuant to the exercise of the Option that have not as yet vested as of such termination date in accordance with the Vesting Schedule indicated on Purchaser’s Stock Option Grant Notice (the “Unvested Shares”). For convenience, the Vesting Schedule set forth in the Stock Option Grant Notice.
(b) Share Repurchase Price. The Company may repurchase all or any of the Unvested Shares at the lower of (i) the Fair Market Value of the such shares (as determined under the Plan) on the date of repurchase, or (ii) the price equal to Purchaser’s Exercise Price for such shares as indicated on Purchaser’s Stock Option Grant Notice (the “Repurchase Price”). No interest shall be paid swith respect to and no other adjustments (other than adjustments in accordance with the Plan to reflect stock splits and similar changes in capitalization) shall be made to the Repurchase Price. The closing of any repurchase under this Section 3 shall be at a date to be specified by the Company, such date to be no later than 90 days after Purchaser’s termination date. The Repurchase Price shall be paid at the closing in the form of a check or by cancellation of money purchase indebtedness.
(c) To exercise the Repurchase Option, the Company shall give written notice thereof to Purchaser (the “Repurchase Notice”). The Repurchase Notice is irrevocable by the Company and shall (i) be in writing and signed by an authorized officer of the Company, (ii) set forth the Company’s intent to exercise the Repurchase Option and contain the total number of Unvested Shares to be sold to the Company pursuant to the exercise of the Repurchase Option, (iii) be mailed or delivered to Purchaser at Purchaser’s address reflected or last reflected on the Company’s payroll records or delivered to Purchaser in person, and (iv) be so mailed or delivered no later than the ninetieth (90th) day following Purchaser’s termination date. If mailed, the Repurchase Notice shall be enclosed in a properly sealed envelope, addressed as aforesaid, and deposited (postage prepaid) in a post office or branch post office regularly maintained by the United States Government. The Repurchase Notice shall be deemed to have been duly given as of the date mailed or delivered in accordance with the foregoing provisions.
(d) Upon a repurchase of any Unvested Shares by the Company, such repurchased Unvested Shares shall be automatically transferred to the Company, without any further action by Purchaser (or Purchaser’s beneficiary or personal representative, as the case may be). The Company may exercise its powers under this Early Exercise Stock Purchase Agreement and take any other action necessary or advisable to evidence such transfer. Purchaser (or Purchaser’s beneficiary or personal representative, as the case may be) must deliver any additional documents of transfer that the Company may request to confirm the transfer of such repurchased Unvested Shares to the Company.
(e) If Purchaser (or any permitted transferee who is an employee of the Company or any Affiliate) ceases to be an employee of the Company or any of its Affiliates and holds Unvested Shares as to which the Company’s Repurchase Option has been exercised, Purchaser shall be entitled to payment in respect of such Unvested Shares in accordance with the foregoing provisions of this Section 3, but (unless otherwise required by law) shall no longer be entitled to participation in the Company or other rights as a stockholder with respect to the Unvested Shares subject to the repurchase. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Purchaser’s rights following the exercise of the Repurchase Option shall, with respect to the repurchase and the Unvested Shares covered thereby, be solely the rights that Purchaser has as a general creditor of the Company to receive payment of the amount specified above in this Section 3.
4. Exercise of Repurchase Option. The Repurchase Option shall be exercised by written notice signed by such person as designated by the Company, and delivered or mailed as provided herein. Such notice shall identify the number of shares of Common Stock to be purchased and shall notify Purchaser of the time, place and date for settlement of such purchase, which shall be scheduled by the Company within the term of the Repurchase Option set forth above. The Company shall be entitled to pay for any shares of Common Stock purchased pursuant to its Repurchase Option at the Company’s option in cash or by offset against any indebtedness owing to the Company by Purchaser, or by a combination of both. Upon delivery of such notice and payment of the purchase price in any of the ways described above, the Company shall become the legal and beneficial owner of the Common Stock being repurchased and all rights and interest therein or related thereto, and the Company shall have the right to transfer to its own name the Common Stock being repurchased by the Company, without further action by Purchaser.
5. Capitalization Adjustments to Common Stock. In the event of a Capitalization Adjustment, then any and all new, substituted or additional securities or other property to which Purchaser is entitled by reason of Purchaser’s ownership of Common Stock shall be immediately subject to the Repurchase Option and be included in the word “Common Stock” for all purposes of the Repurchase Option with the same force and effect as the shares of the Common Stock presently subject to the Repurchase Option, but only to the extent the Common Stock is, at the time, covered by such Repurchase Option. While the total Option Price shall remain the same after each such event, the Option Price per share of Common Stock upon exercise of the Repurchase Option shall be appropriately adjusted.
6. Corporate Transactions. In the event of a Corporate Transaction, then the Repurchase Option may be assigned by the Company to the successor of the Company (or such successor’s parent company), if any, in connection with such Corporate Transaction. To the extent the Repurchase Option remains in effect following such Corporate Transaction, it shall apply to the new capital stock or other property received in exchange for the Common Stock in consummation of the Corporate Transaction, but only to the extent the Common Stock was at the time covered by such right. Appropriate adjustments shall be made to the price per share payable upon exercise of the Repurchase Option to reflect the Corporate Transaction upon the Company’s capital structure; provided, however, that the aggregate price payable upon exercise of the Repurchase Option shall remain the same.
7. Escrow of Unvested Common Stock. As security for Purchaser’s faithful performance of the terms of this Agreement and to insure the availability for delivery of Purchaser’s Common Stock upon exercise of the Repurchase Option herein provided for, Purchaser agrees, at the closing hereunder, to deliver to and deposit with the Secretary of the Company or the Secretary’s designee (“Escrow Agent”), as Escrow Agent in this transaction, three (3) stock assignments duly endorsed (with date and number of shares blank) in the form attached hereto as Exhibit B, together with a certificate or certificates evidencing all of the Common Stock subject to the Repurchase Option; said documents are to be held by the Escrow Agent and delivered by said Escrow Agent pursuant to the Joint Escrow Instructions of the Company and Purchaser set forth in Exhibit C, attached hereto and incorporated by this reference, which instructions also shall be delivered to the Escrow Agent at the closing hereunder.
8. Rights of Purchaser.Subject to the provisions of the Option, Purchaser shall exercise all rights and privileges of a stockholder of the Company with respect to the shares deposited in escrow. Purchaser shall be deemed to be the holder of the shares for purposes of receiving any dividends that may be paid with respect to such shares and for purposes of exercising any voting rights relating to such shares, even if some or all of such shares have not yet vested and been released from the Company’s Repurchase Option.
9. Limitations on Transfer. In addition to any other limitation on transfer created by applicable securities laws, Purchaser shall not sell, assign, hypothecate, donate, encumber or otherwise dispose of any interest in the Common Stock while the Common Stock is subject to the Repurchase Option. After any Common Stock has been released from the Repurchase Option, Purchaser shall not sell, assign, hypothecate, donate, encumber or otherwise dispose of any interest in the Common Stock except in compliance with the provisions herein and applicable securities laws. Furthermore, the Common Stock shall be subject to any right of first refusal in favor of the Company or its assignees that may be contained in the Company’s Bylaws.
10. Restrictive Legends. All certificates representing the Common Stock shall have endorsed thereon legends in substantially the following forms (in addition to any other legend which may be required by other agreements between the parties hereto):
(a) “THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO AN OPTION SET FORTH IN AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE COMPANY AND THE REGISTERED HOLDER, OR SUCH HOLDER’S PREDECESSOR IN INTEREST, A COPY OF WHICH IS ON FILE AT THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE OF THIS COMPANY. ANY TRANSFER OR ATTEMPTED TRANSFER OF ANY SHARES SUBJECT TO SUCH OPTION IS VOID WITHOUT THE PRIOR EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE COMPANY.”
(b) “THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933 AS AMENDED. THEY MAY NOT BE SOLD, OFFERED FOR SALE, PLEDGED OR HYPOTHECATED IN THE ABSENCE OF AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT AS TO THE SECURITIES UNDER SAID ACT OR AN OPINION OF COUNSEL SATISFACTORY TO THE COMPANY THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.”
(c) “THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO A RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL OPTION IN FAVOR OF THE COMPANY AND/OR ITS ASSIGNEE(S) AS SET FORTH IN AN AGREEMENT WITH THE COMPANY, A COPY OF WHICH IS ON FILE AT THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE OF THE COMPANY.”
(d) “THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE WERE ISSUED PURSUANT TO THE EXERCISE OF [AN INCENTIVE STOCK OPTION/ A NONSTATUTORY STOCK OPTION].
(e) Any legend required by appropriate blue sky officials.
11. Investment Representations. In connection with the purchase of the Common Stock, Purchaser represents to the Company the following:
(a) Purchaser is aware of the Company’s business affairs and financial condition and has acquired sufficient information about the Company to reach an informed and knowledgeable decision to acquire the Common Stock. Purchaser is acquiring the Common Stock for investment for Purchaser’s own account only and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any “distribution” thereof within the meaning of the Securities Act.
(b) Purchaser understands that the Common Stock has not been registered under the Securities Act by reason of a specific exemption therefrom, which exemption depends upon, among other things, the bona fide nature of Purchaser’s investment intent as expressed herein.
(c) Purchaser further acknowledges and understands that the Common Stock must be held indefinitely unless the Common Stock is subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available. Purchaser further acknowledges and understands that the Company is under no obligation to register the Common Stock. Purchaser understands that the certificate evidencing the Common Stock will be imprinted with a legend that prohibits the transfer of the Common Stock unless the Common Stock is registered or such registration is not required in the opinion of counsel for the Company.
(d) Purchaser is familiar with the provisions of Rules 144 and 701, under the Securities Act, as in effect from time to time, which, in substance, permit limited public resale of “restricted securities” acquired, directly or indirectly, from the issuer thereof (or from an affiliate of such issuer), in a non-public offering subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions. Rule 701 provides that if the issuer qualifies under Rule 701 at the time of issuance of the securities, such issuance will be exempt from registration under the Securities Act. In the event the Company becomes subject to the reporting requirements of Section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the securities exempt under Rule 701 may be sold by Purchaser ninety (90) days thereafter, subject to the satisfaction of certain of the conditions specified by Rule 144 and the market stand-off provision described in Purchaser’s Stock Option Agreement.
(e) In the event that the sale of the Common Stock does not qualify under Rule 701 at the time of purchase, then the Common Stock may be resold by Purchaser in certain limited circumstances subject to the provisions of Rule 144, which requires, among other things: (i) the availability of certain public information about the Company, and (ii) the resale occurring following the required holding period under Rule 144 after Purchaser has purchased, and made full payment of (within the meaning of Rule 144), the securities to be sold.
(f) Purchaser further understands that at the time Purchaser wishes to sell the Common Stock there may be no public market upon which to make such a sale, and that, even if such a public market then exists, the Company may not be satisfying the current public current information requirements of Rule 144 or 701, and that, in such event, Purchaser would be precluded from selling the Common Stock under Rule 144 or 701 even if the minimum holding period requirement had been satisfied.
(g) Purchaser further warrants and represents that Purchaser has either (i) preexisting personal or business relationships, with the Company or any of its officers, directors or controlling persons, or (ii) the capacity to protect his own interests in connection with the purchase of the Common Stock by virtue of the business or financial expertise of Purchaser or of professional advisors to Purchaser who are unaffiliated with and who are not compensated by the Company or any of its affiliates, directly or indirectly. Purchaser further warrants and represents that Purchaser’s purchase the Common Stock was not accomplished by the publication of any advertisement.
12. Market Stand-Off Agreement. By exercising the Option, Purchaser agrees not to sell, dispose of, transfer, make any short sale of, grant any option for the purchase of, or enter into any hedging or similar transaction with the same economic effect as a sale, any shares of Common Stock or other securities of the Company held by Purchaser, for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days following the effective date of a registration statement of the Company filed under the Securities Act or such longer period as necessary to permit compliance with NASD Rule 2711 or NYSE Member Rule 472 and similar rules or regulations (the “Lock-Up Period”); provided, however, that nothing shall prevent the exercise of the Repurchase Option during the Lock-Up Period. Purchaser further agrees to execute and deliver such other agreements as may be reasonably requested by the Company and/or the underwriter(s) that are consistent with the foregoing or that are necessary to give further effect thereto. In order to enforce the foregoing covenant, the Company may impose stop-transfer instructions with respect to Purchaser’s shares of Common Stock until the end of such period. The underwriters of the Company’s stock are intended third party beneficiaries of this Section 12 and shall have the right, power and authority to enforce the provisions hereof as though they were a party hereto.
13. Section 83(b) Election. Purchaser understands that Section 83(a) of the Code taxes as ordinary income the difference between the amount paid for the Common Stock and the fair market value of the Common Stock as of the date any restrictions on the Common Stock lapse. In this context, “restriction” includes the right of the Company to buy back the Common Stock pursuant to the Repurchase Option set forth above. Purchaser understands that Purchaser may elect to be taxed at the time the Common Stock is purchased, rather than when and as the Repurchase Option expires, by filing an election under Section 83(b) (an “83(b) Election”) of the Code with the Internal Revenue Service within thirty (30) days of the date of purchase. Even if the fair market value of the Common Stock at the time of the execution of this Agreement equals the amount paid for the Common Stock, the 83(b) Election must be made to avoid income under Section 83(a) in the future. Purchaser understands that failure to file such an 83(b) Election in a timely manner may result in adverse tax consequences for Purchaser. Purchaser further understands that Purchaser must file an additional copy of such 83(b) Election with his or her federal income tax return for the calendar year in which the date of this Agreement falls. Purchaser acknowledges that the foregoing is only a summary of the effect of United States federal income taxation with respect to purchase of the Common Stock hereunder, and does not purport to be complete. Purchaser further acknowledges that the Company has directed Purchaser to seek independent advice regarding the applicable provisions of the Code, the income tax laws of any municipality, state or foreign country in which Purchaser may reside, and the tax consequences of Purchaser’s death. Purchaser assumes all responsibility for filing an 83(b) Election and paying all taxes resulting from such election or the lapse of the restrictions on the Common Stock.
14. Refusal to Transfer. The Company shall not be required (a) to transfer on its books any shares of Common Stock of the Company which shall have been transferred in violation of any of the provisions set forth in this Agreement, or (b) to treat as owner of such shares or to accord the right to vote as such owner or to pay dividends to any transferee to whom such shares shall have been so transferred.
15. No Employment Rights. This Agreement is not an employment contract and nothing in this Agreement shall affect in any manner whatsoever the right or power of the Company or its Affiliates to terminate Purchaser’s employment for any reason at any time, with or without cause and with or without notice.
(a) Notices. All notices required or permitted hereunder shall be in writing and shall be deemed effectively given: (a) upon personal delivery to the party to be notified, (b) when sent by confirmed facsimile if sent during normal business hours of the recipient, and if not during normal business hours of the recipienit, then on the next business day, (c) five (5) calendar days after having been sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, or (d) one (1) business day after deposit with a nationally recognized overnight courier, specifying next day delivery, with written verification of receipt. All communications shall be sent to the other party hereto at such party’s address hereinafter set forth on the signature page hereof, or at such other address as such party may designate by ten (10) days advance written notice to the other party hereto.
(b) Successors and Assigns. This Agreement shall inure to the benefit of the successors and assigns of the Company and, subject to the restrictions on transfer herein set forth, be binding upon Purchaser, Purchaser’s successors, and assigns. The Company may assign the Repurchase Option hereunder at any time or from time to time, in whole or in part.
(c) Attorneys’ Fees; Specific Performance. Purchaser shall reimburse the Company for all costs incurred by the Company in enforcing the performance of, or protecting its rights under, any part of this Agreement, including reasonable costs of investigation and attorneys’ fees. It is the intention of the parties that the Company, upon exercise of the Repurchase Option and payment for the shares repurchased, pursuant to the terms of this Agreement, shall be entitled to receive the Common Stock, in specie, in order to have such Common Stock available for future issuance without dilution of the holdings of other stockholders. Furthermore, it is expressly agreed between the parties that money damages are inadequate to compensate the Company for the Common Stock and that the Company shall, upon proper exercise of the Repurchase Option, be entitled to specific enforcement of its rights to purchase and receive said Common Stock.
(d) Governing Law; Venue. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California. The parties agree that any action brought by either party to interpret or enforce any provision of this Agreement shall be brought in, and each party agrees to, and does hereby, submit to the jurisdiction and venue of, the appropriate state or federal court for the district encompassing the Company’s principal place of business.
(e) Further Execution. The parties agree to take all such further action(s) as may reasonably be necessary to carry out and consummate this Agreement as soon as practicable, and to take whatever steps may be necessary to obtain any governmental approval in connection with or otherwise qualify the issuance of the securities that are the subject of this Agreement.
(f) Independent Counsel. Purchaser acknowledges that this Agreement has been prepared on behalf of the Company by Cytowski LLC, counsel to the Company and that Cytowski LLC does not represent, and is not acting on behalf of, Purchaser. Purchaser has been provided with an opportunity to consult with Purchaser’s own counsel with respect to this Agreement.
(g) Entire Agreement; Amendment. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and merges all prior agreements or understandings, whether written or oral. This Agreement may not be amended, modified or revoked, in whole or in part, except by an agreement in writing signed by each of the parties hereto.
(h) Severability. If one or more provisions of this Agreement are held to be unenforceable under applicable law, the parties agree to renegotiate such provision in good faith. In the event that the parties cannot reach a mutually agreeable and enforceable replacement for such provision, then (i) such provision shall be excluded from this Agreement, (ii) the balance of the Agreement shall be interpreted as if such provision were so excluded and (iii) the balance of the Agreement shall be enforceable in accordance with its terms.
(i) Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original and all of which together shall constitute one instrument.
In witness whereof, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement as of _______________.
Exhibit A Notice of Exercise
Exhibit B Assignment Separate from Certificate
Exhibit C Joint Escrow Instructions