TRUSTe European Safe Harbor certification
Effective April 3, 2013
- We will not collect Personal Information without your knowledge and permission;
- We will allow you to view, correct or modify your Personal Information; and
- We will take reasonable steps to protect the security of the Personal Information we collect from you.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Law, California residents have the right to request in writing from businesses with whom they have an established business relationship, (a) a list of the categories of personal information, such as name, e-mail and mailing address and the type of services provided to the customer, that a business has disclosed to third parties (including affiliates that are separate legal entities) during the immediately preceding calendar year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes and (b) the names and addresses of all such third parties. To request the above information, please e-mail us at: [email protected] or write to us at: Trip Network, Inc. (d/b/a CheapTickets), Attn: Customer Service – Privacy, 500 West Madison Street, Suite 1000, Chicago, IL 60661 with a reference to California Disclosure Information.
We will respond to such requests to information access within 30 days following receipt at the e-mail or mailing address stated above. If we receive your request at a different e-mail or mailing address, we will respond within a reasonable period of time, but not to exceed 150 days from the date received. Please note that we are only required to respond to each customer once per calendar year.
- What Personal Information we collect
- How we use the information we collect
- To whom we disclose Personal Information
- How we retain and store Personal Information
- How we protect Personal Information
- How to access, modify or close your acount
- U.S.-EU and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks
- Contact Information
“Guest” means an individual who searches and Books Products or Services on our Site without being a Member.
“Member” means an individual who has registered on the www.cheaptickets.com site.
“Member ID” means the e-mail address Members use (with their password) to log into our Site.
“CheapTickets,”“us,” “our” or “we” means Trip Network, Inc. (d/b/a CheapTickets) and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
“Personal Information” means any information, recorded in any form, about an identified individual, or an individual whose identity may be inferred from the information. This includes, for example, name, e-mail and mailing address, telephone number, billing and account information and other information incidental to providing Products or Services (including information about individuals traveling with an individual who Books on our Site).
“Products or Services” means the airline travel, hotel accommodation, car rental, ground transportation, tours, theater tickets, attractions, travel insurance and other items available from our Site.
To “Book” means to reserve.
“Session Data” means usage and device information. This includes, for example, the type of Internet browser and operating system an individual uses, the domain name of the site from which the individual came, the date, time and duration of the individual’s visit to our Site, the number of visits to our Site, the pages viewed on our Site, the cookies accumulated on the user’s browser, the type of mobile device the individual uses and the unique identifier of an individual’s mobile device.
“Site” means the www.cheaptickets.com site or the m.cheaptickets.com mobile site and their respective sub sites together with the respective content, Products and Services available from these sites or sub sites.return to top
If you do not agree with these terms, do not provide any Personal Information to us. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, or if you choose not to provide us with any required Personal Information, we may not be able to provide you Products or Services.
Minors (as defined under the laws of their jurisdiction or residence) are not eligible to use our Site, register for an account or Book Products or Services. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from any Minor, and will not use this information if we discover that it has been provided by a Minor.
Other Travelers or Contacts
3. What Personal Information we collect
We collect only such information as necessary to provide Products and Services to you.
When you are just visiting
When you visit our Site as a Guest or Member, we collect Session Data.
When using the CheapTickets mobile site, you may search for Products and Services in the area in which you are located. If you choose to do so, depending on the mobile device or application you are using, we may collect your geo-location information to search for the applicable Products and Services or to personalize and improve your individual viewing experiences on our Site and provide information that may be of interest to you. You may at any time disable our collection and use of your location information by turning location services off at the device level.
When you register as a Member
When you register with us as a Member, you must provide your name and e-mail address. You must choose a password, which will be required to gain access to portions of our Site reserved for Member use. We may also request your home zip code. You may elect to provide other information. Such information may include, for example, gender, activities and lifestyle preferences or preferred destinations.
You may elect to provide other information. Such information may include, for example, gender, activities and lifestyle preferences or preferred destinations.
When you Book Products or Services as a Member
When you Book Products or Services as a Member, you must provide payment and billing information and other information required by the travel service provider(s). Such information may include, for example, date of birth, gender, driver information or similar information.
If you choose to use our E-mail Your Itinerary feature, we will send the individual(s) you identify a one-time e-mail with the applicable information. We do not permanently store the name or e-mail address of such individuals.
When you Book Products or Services for a third party
When you Book Products or Services for a third party, you must provide that third party's name and contact information, payment and billing information and other information required by the travel service provider(s).
When you Book Products or Services as a Guest
When you Book Products or Services as a Guest, you must provide Personal Information required by the travel service provider(s). You must also provide an e-mail address so that we can send you our welcome e-mail and a confirmation of the booking. With the confirmation, we will provide you with a temporary password so that you can return to our Site if you wish to review information about the booking.
When you participate in contests, promotions, raffles or sweepstakes
We may offer you the chance to win a variety of travel-related prizes by sponsoring contests, promotions, raffles or sweepstakes. If you choose to participate, we will collect Personal Information such as your name or e-mail or mailing address.
When you participate in a survey or a focus group
From time to time, we may invite you to participate in a survey or a focus group. You are free to participate or not. We will collect the responses you provide, and will make them anonymous by aggregating them with those of other participants. If you use a bulletin board, blog or chat room on our Site, you should be aware that any Personal Information you submit there can be read, collected or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the Personal Information you choose to submit in these forums. If you wish to request the removal of your Personal Information from our blog, you can do so by contacting us as indicated in Contact Information. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your Personal Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
When we advertise on third party sites
When you visit a site on which we advertise and click through our advertisement, we may place cookies on your computer or use pixel tags. The information that we collect through this technology is not personally identifiable.
When you call or write to our Customer Service
When you call or write to our Customer Service, we collect contact information, including, for example, name, phone number, e-mail or mailing address, and information about the relevant booking as necessary to assist you. For example, if you call for assistance with a pre-existing booking or to Book Products or Services, we may request your name, contact information and payment and billing information.
When we send e-mails or e-newsletters
When we send e-mails or e-newsletters, we may insert a pixel tag in the e-mail. If you choose to use our Forward to a Friend feature, we will send your friend(s) a one-time e-mail about the applicable information. We do not permanently store the name or e-mail address of such individuals.
Supplementation of Personal Information
In order to provide certain services to you, we may on occasion supplement the Personal Information you submitted to us with information from third party sources:
- Address Verification: If you Book Products or Services, we use third parties in order to verify your address information during the credit card authorization process.
- Enhancement of Profile Information: We obtain marketing data from third parties and add it to our existing user database, to better target our advertising and to provide pertinent offers for which we think you would be interested. To enrich our profiles of individual customers, we tie this information to the Personal Information you submitted to us. If you choose to link any of your social media accounts to your account, you will be given the option to log into your account using the credentials from any such social media accounts. When you choose to use this log-in feature, we obtain information from all of the social media accounts that you have chosen to link to your account. Such information may include, for example, your name, date of birth, gender, location, profile photo, interests, activities, likes, check-ins, languages, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, professional information, contacts or similar information. You may unlink any of your social media accounts from your account by modifying your account settings. When you do so, we will stop obtaining new information from such social media accounts.
4. How we use the information we collect
We use Personal Information in order to provide and enhance the Products or Services offered:
- To record your travel preferences, make reservations or acquire travel insurance on your behalf or communicate with you about your travel plans;
- To issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments;
- To provide tips or guidance on how to use our Site, inform you of new features on our Site or provide other information that may be of interest to users;
- To personalize the service or communication we provide to you, tailor your experience at our Site or other sites to your interests and make more appropriate travel recommendations;
- To send you commercial communications if you have not opted-out of receiving these communications;
- To manage our Site, diagnose technical problems, improve content and allocate the resources of our systems so that your experience with our Site is as efficient as possible;
- To process and track your transactions and to send you information about our and our affiliates’ and business partners’ products and services and other information and materials that may be of interest to you;
- To develop, enhance, market, sell or provide CheapTickets’ Products or Services, or those of companies with which we have a commercial relationship, but only if you have granted us permission to do so or we are otherwise able to do so under applicable law;
- To evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- To investigate, detect and protect CheapTickets and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activities;
- To effect a corporate transaction in connection with the sale, merger, spin-off or other corporate reorganization of our corporation, where the information is provided to the new controlling entity in regular course of business;
- To audit compliance with our policies and contractual obligations;
- As permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; or
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
Contests, Promotions, Raffles and Sweepstakes
If you participate in a contest, promotion, raffle or sweepstakes, we will only use your Personal Information to notify you if you win. We may send you additional commercial communications only if you have specifically requested when filling out the contest or promotion form. We will share the information you provide us with the entities with which we may have teamed to propose a joint promotion.
We use Session Data to better understand how our Site is navigated to and used, so we can improve our Site’s content and ease of use, personalize and improve your individual viewing experiences on our Site and provide information that may be of interest to you. We may use service providers to collect Session Data on our behalf. You may opt-out of certain Session Data being collected while you are using a mobile device by clicking here.
We use pixel tags to monitor the open rate of our communications. This helps us understand the effectiveness of communications we send. We do not use this information for any other purpose.
Survey and Focus Groups
When you participate in surveys or focus groups, your participation and responses will be kept confidential and will not be shared with third parties without your permission, except with our service providers.
Aggregated information is information recorded in any form about more than one individual, where the identity of the individual is not known and cannot be inferred from the information. We may use aggregated information to describe our user base to current or potential partners, investors and advertisers; after a survey, to understand and respond to market needs and preferences; or to make recommendations to other users of our Site. For example, if users of our Site who have traveled to a particular destination told us that they had positive experiences at a hotel in that destination, we might recommend that hotel.
What we do NOT do
We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, Member ID, password or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to us. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is our priority. For more information about phishing, you may want to visit the Federal Trade Commission.return to top
5. To whom we disclose Personal Information
From time to time, we may disclose your Personal Information as follows:
- To those travel service providers with which you make arrangements through our Site, for example airlines, car rental, hotel, ground transportation, theater, attraction or travel insurance. We provide them with the Personal Information needed to make and complete the booking or reservation;
- To protect our Site and our rights under our Site Terms and Conditions; to protect ourselves against liability or prevent fraudulent activity; or where it is necessary to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we may sustain;
- To effect a corporate transaction, in connection with the sale, merger, spin-off or other corporate reorganization of our corporation, where the information is provided to the new controlling entity in regular course of business;
- Where the information is public; or
- To our insurers and to regulatory agencies.
Disclosure without Consent
Please note that there are circumstances where the use or disclosure of Personal Information may be justified or permitted, or where CheapTickets may be obligated to disclose information without consent. Such circumstances may include:
- If required to comply with a subpoena or warrant issued or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of information or to comply with the rules of a court relating to the production of records. If we receive a formal request to disclose your Personal Information in connection with a legal action, we will attempt to contact you about it, if permitted by law, via the e-mail address you provided during registration, before we respond to that request.
- If we believe in good faith that a law, regulation, rule or guideline requires it;
- To a person who needs the information because of an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an identifiable person or group; or
- Where it is necessary to collect monies owing to us.
In order to protect national security and to ensure travel security, the United States Government and other governments may request access to passenger name records, which typically includes name, flight origin, flight destination, flight time, duration of flight, seat location, travel agent, form of payment, credit card numbers, travel itinerary, address, telephone number and meal requests. In response to such request, CheapTickets and/or its providers will give access to all the information you provide at the time of making the booking to the applicable government agencies of the countries to or from which you are traveling.return to top
6. How we retain and store Personal informationMy Trips and My Account
If you are a Member, we store your Personal Information in My Trips and My Account. You can access My Trips and My Account from the home page of our Site, after logging onto our Site. My Trips contains information about your current, canceled or past trips. My Account contains your name, e-mail address, e-mail and password settings, and departure city from which you usually travel. It may also contain other information so that you do not need to re-enter it each time you Book a Product or Service. For example, My Account may contain your billing information unless you tell us not to store it. It may also contain your preferences for seat selection or special meals, details about your participation in loyalty or awards programs and applicable membership numbers and other travel preferences. We also keep in My Account all other information that you have elected to provide us, such as gender, activities and lifestyle preferences and favorite destinations.
You can access, modify or close your account as described in How to access, modify, or close your account.
Third Parties’ Personal Information
We will retain in your My Account, the Personal Information of individuals for whom you have made reservations.
You can access or modify these third parties’ Personal Information at any time, as described in How to access, modify, or close your account.
Retention and Storage
We will retain your Personal Information in our databases in accordance with our Records Management Policy and applicable laws. This period may extend beyond the end of your relationship with us, but it will be only as long as it is necessary for us to have sufficient information to respond to any issues that may arise later. For example, we may need or be required to retain information to allow you to obtain credit for a trip you Booked but had to cancel. We may also need to retain certain information to prevent fraudulent activity; protect ourselves against liability, permit us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we may sustain; or if we believe in good faith that a law, regulation, rule or guideline requires it.
Your Personal Information will be stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by CheapTickets, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers as described in How we protect Personal Information.return to top
7. How we protect Personal Information
If you choose to contact CheapTickets through our Site, you should be aware that any information transmitted electronically via the World Wide Web might not be secure. CheapTickets assumes no liability for the loss of any information that you transmit to us via the World Wide Web. However, if you provide your credit card information on our Site’s credit card forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
In communicating with you, we may send e-mail as unencrypted plain text because we are aware that most Members and Guests cannot readily process encrypted e-mail. This is done for your convenience, but with the security concern that, if misrouted or intercepted, it could be read more easily than encrypted e-mail.return to top
8. How to access, modify or close your Account
We endeavor to ensure that Personal Information is as accurate, complete and current as necessary for the purposes for which we use that information. We encourage you to visit your account to review your Personal Information. You can access your Personal Information in My Account and update it or delete inaccuracies, as necessary. For example, you can change at any time your e-mail address, activities and lifestyle preferences, favorite destinations or your preferences for receiving or not receiving commercial communications.
If you wish to close your account, you can do so by contacting us as indicated in Contact Information. We will respond to such requests within 30 days following receipt at the e-mail or mailing address stated above. If we receive your request at a different e-mail or mailing address, we will respond within a reasonable period of time, but not to exceed 150 days from the date received. If you request that we close your account, we will promptly do so, to the extent possible. Once your account is closed, however, you will not be able to use many of the services available on our Site to Members, unless you re-register.
Please remember that we may not be able to honor your request if we are legally obligated to retain information, or for other reasons described in Retention and Storage.return to top
9. PrivacyCookies and pixel tags
A cookie is a small text file that our computer sends to your computer, and that your computer sends back to us each time you make a request from our Site. A cookie contains a unique identification number that identifies the visitor's browser, but not necessarily the visitor. A pixel tag is a small graphic image similar to a cookie.
When you access our Site, we may place cookies, pixel tags or other code on your computer to collect Session Data. These technologies are used to help us recognize you when you visit our Site again or to help us customize your online experience. Unless you specifically informs us of your identity (e.g., by registering with us or signing into your account using your social media account credentials), we will not know who you are.
If you decide not to accept our cookies, you will be able to access those parts of our Site that are available to the general public, but you will not be able to access many of Products and Services.
Third Party Advertisers
We use anonymous Session Data, such as the destination of your search, in order to advertise to you on our Site and on other sites. We do not sell your Session Data to any other party in connection with our ad programs but we may use it in order to run ads on behalf of others, such as travel suppliers. For example, we may serve an airline’s ad to you while you are on another site, on behalf of that airline. In such cases, we use third parties to anonymously identify your browser while on another site. You can opt-out of this kind of advertising by clicking here and here. By opting out of this kind of advertising you may still receive ads from CheapTickets or ads from other parties that are broadly targeted (not on the basis of your Session Data).
As part of the registration process we give you the ability to receive commercial communications about Products and Services, updates to our Site and customized advertisements and promotions that are targeted to your specific interests, such as flight specials, promotions, contests, sweepstakes and other travel opportunities available on our Site and/or sponsored by our travel service providers and advertisers. We send these communications directly ourselves or via service providers. If you do not opt-out from receiving these communications, we will send them to you. At any time you may change your selection receive or not receive these by changing your preferences as described in How to access, modify or close your account. In addition, these communications will include instructions on how to unsubscribe.
CheapTickets may from time to time monitor and review any information transmitted or received through our Site, or through telephone or e-mail communications, for quality assurance and other purposes. We reserve the right to censor, edit, remove or prohibit the transmission or receipt of any information that CheapTickets deems inappropriate or in violation of our Site Terms and Conditions. During monitoring the information may be examined, recorded or copied.
If we decide to change this policy in a material way, we will obtain the necessary consents required under applicable privacy laws if we seek to collect, use or disclose Personal Information for purposes other than those to which consent has been obtained, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. If we make any material changes we will notify you by e-mail (at the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on our Site prior to the change becoming effective. If any proposed change is unacceptable to you, you may request that we close your account, as described in How to access, modify or close your account.return to top
12. U.S.-EU and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks
CheapTickets complies with the U.S. – E.U. & U.S. – Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from the European Union and Switzerland. CheapTickets has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access and enforcement. You can learn more about the Safe Harbor Frameworks and view CheapTicket’s certification by clicking here. As part of our participation in the Safe Harbor Frameworks, we have agreed to TRUSTe dispute resolution for disputes relating to our compliance with the Safe Harbor Frameworks. If you have complaints regarding our compliance with the Safe Harbor Frameworks you should first contact us. If contacting us does not resolve your complaint, you may raise your complaint with TRUSTe TRUSTe by clicking here, by fax at 1-415-520-3420 or by mail at TRUSTe Safe Harbor Compliance Dept., click for mailing address. If you are faxing or mailing TRUSTe to lodge a complaint, you must include the following information: CheapTickets’ name, the alleged privacy violation, your contact information and whether you would like the particulars of your complaint shared with CheapTickets. You can learn more about TRUSTe or the operation of TRUSTe's dispute resolution process by clicking here or requesting this information from TRUSTe via any of the contact methods listed above. The TRUSTe dispute resolution process will be conducted in English. For human resources data, we have agreed to cooperate with Data Protection Authorities.return to top
13. Contact Information
E-mail: [email protected]
Mail: Trip Network, Inc. (d/b/a CheapTickets), Attn: Customer Service – Privacy, 500 West Madison Street, Suite 1000, Chicago, Illinois 60661
Telephone: 1-888-922-8849 (within the United States) or 1-312-596-5786 (outside the United States)