Enrollment agreement for Epicodus
Before you enroll at Epicodus, let's make sure we're on the same page.
Here is our commitment to you:
- During the forty hours per week of class time, your teachers will be available in the classroom as much as possible to answer your questions, review your code, help you with problems, and guide you through the process of learning web programming. Most days, your teachers will be out of the classroom for some time during private one-on-one checkins, and from time to time, there may be other urgent matters that require their attention.
- Once a week, one of your teachers will have a private one-on-one checkin with you.
- We will regularly ask you for feedback, and do our best to improve Epicodus based on what you and your classmates tell us.
- We will provide a classroom with enough computers for all of the students to use in pairs.
- After our course is over, we will do our best to help you find a job. Many of our past graudates have been successful in finding work after Epicodus, but we can’t guarantee how long it will take you to find a job, or what salary you will receive. That said, we feel a personal obligation to help you find a job you love, and as the reputation of Epicodus depends on your success in the job market, it is in our best interest to do whatever we can to help you succeed.
Epicodus is a relatively short, intense class, and as all of our work is done in pairs and groups, you will rely heavily on other students, and they will rely heavily on you. For you and your classmates to be successful, you need to make the following commitments to us, your classmates, and yourself:
- Before the class begins, you will complete several lessons we send to you. Depending on your experience and proficiency, you should expect to spend 20 to 40 hours on these lessons.
- For the length of the course, you will come to class every day, arriving on time and staying until class is over (except for our hour lunch break).
- When we assign homework, you will complete it on time. There is typically less than 1 hour of homework on weekends, and rarely any homework on weeknights.
- During class, you will work hard and stay focused.
- During class, you will turn off your cell phone, so that it will not distract you. We ask that you turn it off, because even when it is on silent, it can still be tempting to check it. You also will not check email, Facebook, or any other website that does not relate to our class.
- When you have a question, you will work with your pair to figure out the answer. If the two of you can’t figure out the answer, you will ask another pair of students. If you still can’t figure out the answer, you will ask a teacher. Answering each other’s questions is one of the best ways to learn. Furthermore, minimizing your reliance on your teachers will help you grow your own problem-solving abilities very quickly.
- If you suggest that we change Epicodus in some way, and we decide not to take your suggestion, you will respect our decision so that you, we, and the rest of the class can stay focused and move on.
- You will follow the Epicodus Code of Conduct. If you violate the Code of Conduct, you will be expelled from the class.
- Most importantly, you will be kind, understanding, and helpful to your classmates and to the Epicodus staff. Please take a moment to really think about what this means, and about times in the course when it might be hard for you to do so.
If you have a personal emergency, we can of course make exceptions to any of these commitments, except for the last two points.
Before you apply, please understand our payment policy:
- Tuition is $4,500. If you pay your entire tuition up-front, you will receive a discount of $900 (for a total of $3,400). If you do not pay up-front, you must pay 20% ($900) upon enrolling, and the $3,600 balance by the first day of class. We also offer a payment plan under which you may pay $0 before class, and $625/month for 8 months after class.
- Tuition is payable by electronic check. If you prefer to pay by credit or debit card, there is a 2.9% + 30¢ processing fee that we will pass on to you.
- When we receive your payment and reserve your spot in the class, we will turn away other applicants whom we may have otherwise accepted. If you later change your mind about taking Epicodus, it will make it very difficult for us to fill the appropriate number of students in the class, and to have an even number of students so that we can practice pair programming. For these reasons, except in the case of a personal emergency, we ask that you only enroll if you are sure that you want to take Epicodus.
- However, Oregon law mandates that we provide a partial refund if you cancel your enrollment. For full details, please read the Epicodus refund policy.
If all you agree with all of the above points, then please sign.