Enrollment agreement for Epicodus
Before you enroll at Epicodus, let's make sure we're on the same page.
Here is our commitment to you:
- We will help you learn skills commonly used in software development.
- During class time, your teachers will be available as much as possible to answer your questions, review your code, help you with problems, and guide you through the process of learning software development. Most days, your teachers will be out of the classroom for some time during private one-on-one checkins, and from time to time, there may be other urgent matters that require their attention.
- Once a week, one of your teachers will have a private one-on-one checkin with you.
- We will regularly ask you for feedback, and do our best to improve Epicodus based on what you and your classmates tell us.
- We will provide a classroom with enough computers for all of the students to use in pairs.
After our course is over, we will do our best to help you find a job. Many of our past graduates have been successful in finding work after Epicodus, but we can’t guarantee how long it will take you to find a job, or what salary you will receive. That said, we feel a personal obligation to help you find a job you love, and as the reputation of Epicodus depends on your success in the job market, it is in our best interest to do whatever we can to help you succeed.
Epicodus is a relatively short, intense class, and as all of our work is done in pairs and groups, you will rely heavily on other students, and they will rely heavily on you. For you and your classmates to be successful, you need to make the following commitments to us, your classmates, and yourself:
- Before the class begins, you will complete several lessons we send to you. Depending on your experience and proficiency, you should expect to spend 20 to 40 hours on these lessons.
- For the length of the course, you will come to class every day, arriving on time and staying until class is over (except for our hour lunch break). You will be expelled if you miss more than 10 days of class.
- When we assign homework, you will complete it on time. There is typically 20-30 minutes of homework each evening and weekend.
- During class, you will work hard and stay focused.
- During class, you will not use your cell phones, tablets, laptops, and any other personal devices so that they will not distract you. You also will not check email, Facebook, or any other website that does not relate to our class.
- When you have a question, you will work with your pair to figure out the answer. If the two of you can’t figure out the answer, you will ask another pair of students. If you still can’t figure out the answer, you will ask a teacher. Answering each other’s questions is one of the best ways to learn. Furthermore, minimizing your reliance on your teachers will help you grow your own problem-solving abilities very quickly.
- You will follow the Epicodus Code of Conduct. If you violate the Code of Conduct, you will be expelled from the class.
- Most importantly, you will be kind, understanding, and helpful to your classmates and to the Epicodus staff. Please take a moment to really think about what this means, and about times in the course when it might be hard for you to do so.
If you have a personal emergency, we can of course make exceptions to any of these commitments, except for the last two points.
Respect for students' and staff's diverse backgrounds is a cornerstone of Epicodus's Code of Conduct. Epicodus prohibits discrimination against any local, state, or federal protected classes towards its applicants, students, employees. Protected classes include race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, receipt of public assistance, and protected genetic information.
Epicodus (including staff, contractors, the press, and other guests we may invite) may take photos or video of your classroom while you are attending, and those photos or videos may include you. You give Epicodus permission to use your image, and release Epicodus from all related claims and liability.
Please understand that this is a legal document. If all you agree with all of the above points, then please sign.