Account and Profile Information
Registration: LiveJournal collects certain personal information when you register for the Service, including your name, date of birth, contact information (collectively, “identifiable personal information”). We ask for your date of birth in order to verify that you are over 13 years of age, but you are free to hide your date of birth or just the year you were born as well as all other identifiable personal information that you do not wish to share.
Profile: You are encouraged to provide as much non-identifiable personal information as you like once you register for the Service, including your interests, schools, and other biographical data. This will help you find friends and communities on the Service. LiveJournal will not resell your identifiable personal information to third parties. We may, however, aggregate and share generalized data and demographic information about you, such as your age, gender, geographic region, and analytical data describing your use of, and interaction with, any part of the Service, including, but not limited to, third party products, services, sponsored contests, sweepstakes, and advertisements.
Transactions: LiveJournal may collect and retain records regarding purchases you make on the Service as well as transactions involving third party products, services, and other offerings.
Browser: LiveJournal automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookies, and the pages you request.
A cookie is a small amount of data that often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive. You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. If you configure your browser to reject cookies, however, you may not be able to use some LiveJournal or third party products or services. LiveJournal allows some third parties that advertise and/or offer products and services on the Service to set and access their cookies on your computer when you visit their web sites, subject to their respective privacy policies. Third parties are not granted access to LiveJournal's cookies.
Information You Share
LiveJournal: Whenever you post and/or provide personal information through use of this Service, you understand that you are sharing your information with LiveJournal, organizations that may hold an interest in LiveJournal, their divisions and/or subsidiaries, and any of LiveJournal’s divisions and/or subsidiaries, and/or assigns. Their use of your personal information is subject to this Policy, but may be modified anytime by posting an updated Policy at this URL. It is your responsibility to check this Policy on a regular basis. Use of the Service constitutes your consent to the terms described herein.
No Resale of Identifiable Personal Information: We will not share or resell your identifiable personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. LiveJournal may display relevant ads based on non-identifiable personal information, such as browser type, region detected on the basis of information located in the Network field of the Internet Address, and your use of, and interaction with, any part of the Service.
Billing: LiveJournal may use your personal information in order to investigate or complete a transaction (such as processing a payment for a service you ordered).
Email: LiveJournal may use your email address to contact you regarding important Account or Service updates. We will do our best to offer an opportunity to opt-out of non-essential communications.
Username: Whenever you post content or send a message on the Service, your LiveJournal ID (“Username”) may be visible to other users, depending on your privacy settings. Any information you post on the Service, including, but not limited to, content posted in your Journal, Communities, or your Profile page, may be accessible through use of your Username.
Public Content: Whenever you post content on the Service and set the privacy setting to “Public” or “Everybody,” you understand that this information may be accessible by anyone with Internet access, whether or not they are logged into LiveJournal. In addition, any content you post publicly may result in unsolicited communications from other parties. You should further understand that any personally identifiable information and/or content that you post on LiveJournal that is viewable by other users may be copied and/or shared without your consent. LiveJournal cannot be responsible for any loss or damages relating to any information you post on the Service. LiveJournal may repost public entries, in whole or in part, on the LiveJournal homepage or other LiveJournal pages in order to help users find friends and communities based on mutual interests.
Third Parties: LiveJournal may share your identifiable personal information with third parties under the following circumstances:
- Operations: In the course of business, it may be necessary to grant access to internal systems that contain your personal information in order to improve our operations and Service, including, but not limited to, outside service providers, contractors, and vendors. Whenever practicable, we will obtain confidentiality agreements that are consistent with this policy and take reasonable measures to limit access to your personal information.
- Ad Service: LiveJournal may deliver relevant ads to you based on general demographic data, stated interests, and/or your use of, and interaction with, any part of the Service, subject to your privacy settings and Account type, as described in our TOS, which is integrated by reference herein. LiveJournal will not share your identifiable personal information with third party advertisers, but may aggregate and share non-identifiable generalized data about you with third parties, including demographic information and your viewing of, and interaction with, advertisements displayed on the Service in order to improve the relevancy of ad service, third party offerings, and related campaigns.
- Third Parties: LiveJournal works with third parties, including advertising companies and website analysis firms, who use their own cookies to collect non-personally identifiable information about your surfing activities when you visit our site and other third party sites. This non-personally identifiable information is typically used by these third party advertising networks to serve you advertisements tailored to meet your preferences (and likely interests) while you are on our site and others. If you want to prevent a third-party advertiser from collecting data your non-personally identifiable information, you may either visit each ad network's web site individually and opt out, or visit the NAI gateway opt-out site to opt-out of all network advertising cookies of NAI members. Click here for the NAI gateway opt-out site, http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp.
- Legal Process: We may share your personal information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, to establish and/or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims under U.S. law.
- Safety and Security: We may share your personal information with U.S. Law enforcement officers to investigate, prevent, or take action to prevent or stop illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of LiveJournal's TOS, and/or if it is necessary to comply with, and/or cure a potential violation or breach of, U.S. law.
- Sale of Business: In the course of business, we might negotiate to sell all or part of our business. In such transactions, your personal information may be shared or transferred to the buyer, but shall remain subject to this Policy. Such Policy may, however, be updated or amended at any time. The revised policy will be posted here for your review.
Confidentiality and Security
Internet Security: Any content posted over the Internet or a wireless network cannot be guaranteed 100% private or secure. Whenever you post content anywhere on the Service, we will make reasonable efforts to ensure your privacy in the following manner:
- Safeguards: We use physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
- Passwords: We require you log-in with a password to access personal Account information.
- Encryption: In certain areas, LiveJournal uses industry-standard SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions. Please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, or altered by breach of our firewalls and secure server software.
- Security Breach: If LiveJournal learns of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may also post to the LiveJournal News and/or Support pages.
- Email: By using this web site or providing personal information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues. Please note that we will never ask you to submit personal information or to verify the status of your personal information in any electronic communication. Should you ever receive an email that appears to be from LiveJournal asking for your personal information, do not respond to that email, and forward it to our customer care team at [email protected].