TRUSTe European Safe Harbor certification
When you use SurveyMonkey, we collect information relating to you and your use of our services from a variety of sources. These are listed below. The sections afterward describe what we do with this information.
Information we collect directly from you
- Registration information. You need a SurveyMonkey account before you can create surveys on SurveyMonkey. When you register for an account, we collect your username, password and email address. If you choose to register by using a third party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), please see "Information from third parties" below.
- Billing information. If you make a payment to SurveyMonkey, we require you to provide your billing details, such as a name, address, email address and financial information corresponding to your selected method of payment (e.g. a credit card number and expiration date or a bank account number). If you provide a billing address, we will regard that as the location of the account holder.
- Account settings. You can set various preferences and personal details on pages like your account settings page. For example, your default language, timezone and communication preferences (e.g. opting in or out of receiving marketing emails from SurveyMonkey).
- Address book information. We allow you to import email addresses into an Address Book and associate email addresses with email invitation collectors so you can easily invite people to take your surveys via email. We don't use these email addresses for our own purposes or email them except at your direction.
- Survey data. We store your survey data (questions and responses) for you.
- Other data you intentionally share. We may collect your personal information or data if you submit it to us in other contexts. For example, if you provide us with a testimonial, or participate in a SurveyMonkey contest.
Information we collect about you from other sources
- Usage data. We collect usage data about you whenever you interact with our services. This may include which webpages you visit, what you click on, when you performed those actions, and so on. Additionally, like most websites today, our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers. The log files contain data about the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses.
- Device data. We collect data from the device and application you use to access our services, such as your IP address and browser type. We may also infer your geographic location based on your IP address.
- Referral data. If you arrive at a SurveyMonkey website from an external source (such as a link on another website or in an email), we record information about the source that referred you to us.
- Information from third parties. We may collect your personal information or data from third parties if you give permission to those third parties to share your information with us. For example, you have the option of registering and signing into SurveyMonkey with your Facebook account details. If you do this, the authentication of your logon details is handled by Facebook and we only collect information about your Facebook account that you expressly agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your SurveyMonkey account to be linked to your Facebook account.
- Information from page tags. We use third party tracking services that employ cookies and page tags (also known as web beacons) to collect aggregated and anonymized data about visitors to our websites. This data includes usage and user statistics.